Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Things that Stick

If you have ever had a conversation with me, I'm sure you've noticed I'm not a great communicator. It's just true. I have a hard time organizing thoughts and I talk fast and mumble sometimes. I usually have plenty to say and I don't think much before things start spilling out all over the place.

So plenty of the time I feel misunderstood and honestly plenty of the time I couldn't repeat to you word for word what I just said. Not because I didn't mean it, but because I probably said it as I thought it and retain almost nothing.

I have to say, my mom and I tease sometimes about some things that she said to me in my teenage years that she said lightly or in passing but I will never forget them. Like that I,"don't have a creative bone in my body" or "if you always say no when people ask you to do things, they will stop asking you to do things." or " your make up on your face doesn't match your neck! Take a mirror outside in the sun light!"
I guess life is just like that. Some things just stick.

Last week I had a moment like that. My son and I took my mom to lunch for her birthday and I had to get up to take him to the bathroom. As I was leaving the table, my mom said something like,"when you get back make sure you finish telling me about.. Or I want to hear more about..." Whatever it was that I was talking about.

I'm so thankful that those words stuck! or that the thought stuck i guess. I just keep thinking about it. It felt really nice to be heard. It meant a lot more than I'm sure she would have thought it did, that she cared about what I had to say. That, what was going on in my life was important and worth listening to, no matter how poorly it was being communicated. I guess I'm just like everyone else. I want to be heard acknowledged and understood. At that moment it was just really nice to hear that from my momma.

I want her to know that what she says matters to me, and I am thankful that what I have to say matters to her as well <3

Love you momma <3

Peace, LSL

No comments:

Post a Comment